I Quit my Job After 2 Decades


Photo was taken in March 2019 at Lake Kawaguchiko, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan

I used to work for a multinational IT company for 20 years. It was my first job ever. Being in the company very much contributed to who I am today and for that, I am eternally grateful. When I left the company in Sept 2017. 

I miss the people I worked with although I haven't met 80% of them face to face. I worked from home full-time and was mostly in audio conference calls with them. 

The job was perfect because I got to  be with my kids during their growing up years. I could still do my school runs and be present as a mom - which was what I wanted when I became a mom 15 years ago.

As an employee, you're at the mercy of your employer. There is no doubt about that.

No matter how hard I busted my ass, our increments were honestly quite pathetic. They were SINGLE digit in percentage and couldn't even cover the inflation rate. 

BUT, I closed one eye because I was grateful that I could work from home, be with my kids when they needed me the most and still get a fixed salary at the end of the month. 

What's not to love about that right?

But seriously, everyone is dispensible. When the company decides that they don't need you anymore, out you go. 

But that wasn't the case for me. 

I chose to leave and my manager then was so supportive of my decision. I am truly grateful to have worked  with such WONDERFUL people. 

Leaving the company of 20 years was nostalgic. I had mixed feelings. I was happy and at the same time, sad and scared and uncertain. I was proud of myself for taking that bold step to step out of my comfort zone because that decision opened new doors for me.

Keep being curious.
Keep moving forward.
Keep opening new doors.
Keep doing new things.
Curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

What's your story?




Comments

Popular Posts